An activity that uses Chandra data to investigate several supernova remnants to determine if the supernova was a Type II core collapse or a Type Ia thermonuclear event. There are two versions of this activity; a pencil and paper version, and a version that uses the Chandra ds9 image analysis software.
- Introduction and Background: html
- Download instructions for ds9: html
- Tutorial to use the ds9 software: html
- X-Ray Spectroscopy and Supernova Remnants ds9 Version: html | PDF
- X-Ray Spectroscopy and Supernova Remnants Pencil and Paper Version: html | PDF
- Cas A: The Supernova as Cosmic Recycling Center: A set of 6 activities that utilizes ds9 and Chandra data to explore the science of Cas A.