AMERICAN ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY, SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
JANUARY 7-11, 2001
About 2500 scientists were expected for the joint meeting of the
American Astronomical Society (AAS) and the American Association of
Physics Teachers (AAPT) at the Town and Country Resort and Convention
Center, in San Diego, California on January 7-11, 2001.
Counting the AAPT attendees, the event, the 197th national meeting
of the AAS, was the Society's largest ever.
Chandra Uncovers New
Evidence For Event Horizons Surrounding Black Holes
Pulsar and Historic Supernova
(10 Jan 01)
Chandra Reveals The
X-Ray Glint In The Cat's Eye
(08 Jan 01)
Resolution Camera Examines The Orion Nebula Cluster
Jonathan McDowell of the CfA describes the Chandra observation of galaxy Arp220.
2. Orion Nebular Cluster
Astrophysicist Scott Wolk discusses the Orion Nebular Cluster at the 197th meeting of the AAS.
3. PKS0637-752 X-ray Jet
Dan Schwartz of the CfA discusses the PKS0637-752 X-ray Jet
4. Jets in the SS 433 system
Herman Marshall of the MIT Center for Space Reserach looks at jets in the SS 433 system using the Chandra HETGS.
Karen Lewis of Penn State explores the small scale structure of N103B.
6. Supernova 1987a
David Burrows of Penn State University points out some of the unique qualities of Supernova 1987a.
Images from The AAS
7. Live from San Diego - it's the AAS!
It's 9a.m on Monday morning, 30 minutes before the opening of the 197th meeting of the American Astronomical Society. Pictured in this scene is the Chandra X-Ray Center booth. The plasma screen, which will be showing a Chandra video and images, is ready to go. Chandra people are working on the finishing touches, such as hooking up computers on which we'll demonstrate the Chandra analysis software and unpacking the handouts and cd-roms to be distributed.
1. NASA Administrator Daniel S. Goldin stops by the Chandra X-Ray Center booth on the first day of the
AAS, Monday, Jan 8th.
2. The Sources Comprising the X-ray Background in the HDFN Region observed by the Chandra X-ray Observatory (G. P. Garmire, N. W. Brandt, A. E. Hornschemeier, D. P. Schneider, P. S. Broos, L. K. Townsley, D. N. Burrows, G. Chartas, E. D. Feigelson, J. A. Nousek, L. W. Ramsey (Penn State University), A. J. Barger (U. Wisc and U. Hawaii), L. L. Cowie (U. Hawaii), M. W. Bautz (CSR MIT), R. Griffiths (CMU), D. Lumb (ESTEC), W. L. W. Sargent (Caltech))
3. The AGN content in the HDF-N and flanking fields as seen by Chandra (D.M. Alexander, W.N. Brandt, A.E. Hornschemeier, G.P. Garmire, D.P. Schneider (PSU), A.J. Barger (IfA), P.S. Broos (PSU), L.L. Cowie (IfA), L.K. Townsley (PSU), M.W. Bautz (MIT), D.N. Burrows, G. Chartas, E.D. Feigelson (PSU), R. Griffiths (Carnegie Mellon), D. Lumb (ESTEC), J.A. Nousek, L.W. Ramsey (PSU), W.L.W. Sargent (Palomar))
4. Spatial Analysis of the PKS0637-752 X-ray Jet (D.A. Schwartz (CfA), H.L. Marshall (MIT), J.E.J. Lovell, S.J. Tingay, D.L. Jauncey (ATNF/CSIRO), B.G. Piner, R.A. Preston (JPL), M. Birkinshaw, D.M. Worrall (U. Bristol), G. Chartas, E.D. Feigelson (Penn State), M. Elvis, E.J. Hooper, W.H. Tucker, S. Virani (CfA), K.K. Ghosh (MSFC), H. Hirabayashi (ISAS), K.M. Lanzetta (SUNY/Stony Brook), S. Mathur (OSU))
5. Chandra observations of the Antennae galaxies (NGC 4038/39) (G. Fabbiano, A. Zezas, S. S. Murray (SAO))
6. Chandra Observations of the Starburst Wind in NGC 1569 (C. L. Martin (Caltech), H. A. Kobulnicky (U. Wisconsin), T. M. Heckman (Johns Hopkins))
7. The X-ray Spectrum of the Jets in the SS 433 system using the Chandra HETGS (H.L. Marshall, C.R. Canizares, N.S. Schulz (MIT CSR))
8. Chandra View of Sgr A East (Y. Maeda (Penn. State U.), F. Baganoff (MIT), E. Feigelson (Penn. State U.), M. Bautz (MIT), W. Brandt, D. Burrows (Penn. State U.), J. Doty (MIT), G. Garmire (Penn. State U.), M. Morris (UCLA), S. Pravdo (JPL), G. Ricker (MIT), L. Townsley (Penn. State U.), ACIS Team)
9. Exploring the Small Scale Structure of N103B (K. Lewis, D.N. Burrows, J. Nousek, G. Garmire (Penn State), J.P. Hughes (Rutgers), P. Slane (Harvard CfA))
10. SNR G11.2-0.3, an X-Ray Pulsar, and the Supernova of A.D. 386: Examining Their Relationships with Chandra (M.S.E. Roberts, V.M. Kaspi (McGill Univ.), G. Vasisht (JPL), M.J. Pivovaroff (Therma-wave Inc.), E.V. Gotthelf (Columbia Univ.), N. Kawai (RIKEN))
11. Resolved X-ray Images of SN1987A (D. N. Burrows (Penn State), R. McCray, E. Michael (U. Colorado), G. Hasinger (Astrophysical Institute of Potsdam), U. Hwang (NASA/GSFC))
12. Chandra Observations of the Young, Energetic Pulsar PSR B1509-58 (V. Kaspi (McGill University), M. Pivovaroff (Thermawave Inc.), G. Gaensler (MIT), N. Kawai (RIKEN), J. Arons (UC Berkeley), K. Tamura (RIKEN))
American Astronomical Society